We offer Notary Public Services for the benefit of the residents of Mercer County. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- Library notaries are scheduled during the Library’s hours of operation.
- Notary Service is not available in the fifteen (15) minutes prior to the time of closing.
- Customers seeking Notary Service must call the library prior to their visit to make an appointment.
- Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person, per visit.
- The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- New Jersey law requires that a notary must be able to read the documents to be notarized. Library notaries cannot notarize documents written in languages unfamiliar to them.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization must be able to communicate directly with each other.
- Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary service customer.
- Notary Service is not available for all documents. Attorney-in-Fact, Codicils, Deeds, Depositions, Durable Powers of Attorney, Form I-9s, Living Trusts, Living Wills, Medical Directives, Photographs, Proofs or Proofs of Execution, Protests of Non-Acceptance, Protests of Non-Payment, Wills, and electronic banking documents of any kind, are examples of types we cannot notarize as these can require technical or legal knowledge and are beyond the scope of this simple, free service. Notaries are also unable to provide Signature Guarantees, Medallion Signatures or Medallion Signature Guarantees.
- Although the notary cannot attest to true copies of passports, drivers licenses, etc., the notary will issue a notarized Affidavit of True Copy which places the responsibility on the person making the copy. Please be aware, should you require a true copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate with a raised seal, these official copies must come from the appropriate agency.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raises any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Preparing for your Notary Appointment
- DO NOT sign your document in advance. All documents must be signed in the presence of the notary.
- All document signers must personally appear before the notary.
- The notary will ensure that the signer understands the title of the document and is signing freely and willingly.
- The New Jersey State Treasurer has determined that the following must be performed in any notary acknowledgement transaction: “the notary will review the document presented for completeness. This is not a formal legal review, such as would be performed by an accountant or an attorney. Rather, it is a review to ensure that there are no blanks in the document. Should blanks be discovered, the signer must either fill them in or strike them out by drawing a line or ‘X’ through them.”
- The notary will establish the identity of each signer through personal knowledge or with identification documents. Identification must have both a photo and signature.
- The notarial certificate will be completed. This may include requiring the signer to give a verbal oath or acknowledgment.
- The notary will use his/her stamp or seal on the document.
Location of Notary Services
All MCL Branches have Notary Services in English. However, we do offer additional languages:
- Spanish: Hightstown Memorial Library
Mercer County Connection
Mercer County Connection has reopened, by appointment only, Monday through Friday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. They have implemented some guidelines to ensure a smooth reopening. To make an appointment please contact the Clerk’s office at 609- 989-6465 or email Sortiz@mercercounty.org.
Please read Mercer County Connection’s Guidelines Regarding Notary Service before going.
|Mail:||957 Highway 33, Hamilton, NJ 08690|
Hamilton Square Shopping Center
If you are seeking Notary Services for complex documents or in languages other than those listed above, these websites may be helpful to you: