In partnership with the New Jersey Department of Human Services, MCLS is participating in New Jersey’s Naloxone Distribution Program – designed to ensure communities across Mercer County impacted by the opioid epidemic have low-barrier access to Naloxone (Narcan).
“Specifically, Naloxone is used in opioid overdoses to counteract life-threatening depression of the central nervous system and respiratory system, allowing an overdose victim to breathe normally. Naloxone is a nonscheduled (i.e., non-addictive), prescription medication. Naloxone only works if a person has opioids in their system; the medication has no effect if opioids are absent.”https://harmreduction.org/issues/overdose-prevention/overview/overdose-basics
Each of the nine MCLS branches has kits available for distribution. No prescription is needed to access Narcan from the MCLS branches. A kit includes a supply of Naloxone with instructions, as well as educational information and resources.
Under the Good Samaritan Law, a person calling in good faith in the event of an opioid related overdose is immune from arrest, charges, and prosecution. Learn more at https://nextdistro.org/policies
Resources: Opioid Crises and Harm Reduction
Suggested resources provided by Outreach and Harm Reduction Services, Mercer County Department of Addiction Services.
The following books are all available to borrow from our branches. Please click or tap the blue, underlined title for the item’s listing in our catalog.
None of these documentaries are available from our catalog. In order to watch, you will need to follow the information provided below.
- Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy. 2021. Directed by Stanley Nelson. Available only on Netflix with a subscription.
- Liquid Handcuffs: A Documentary to Free Methadone. 2021. Available for purchase or rent via their website: https://www.liquidhandcuffsdoc.com/
- The Crime of the Century. 2021. Directed by Alex Gibney. Available only on HBO Max with a subscription.
All of the following presentations are available for free on YouTube. Please click or tap the blue, underlined title to take you straight to the video presentation.
- Harm Reduction as an Act of Compassion. Presented by Lyndsay Hartman [TEDxNorthCentralCollege]
- I Died Six Times … Let’s End the Stigma of Harm Reduction. Presented by Guy Felicella [TEDxWhiteRock]
- The Power of Addiction and The Addiction of Power. Presented by Gabor Maté [TEDxRio+20]
- Harm Reduction Truth. Presented by National Harm Reduction Coalition.
- National Harm Reduction Coalition. Includes educational resources on harm reduction information, as well as access to harm reduction trainings. https://www.youtube.com/c/HarmReductionCoalition; or https://harmreduction.org/
- New Jersey Harm Reduction Coalition.
- NextDistro. information around harm reduction supplies through mail, and harm reduction policy.
- Hyacinth AIDS Foundation. Located in Trenton. Provices HIV testing; PrEp counseling; STI Testing; local harm reduction center; gay/bisexual men’s health; and LGBTQ drop-in center and safe space.
- Mercer Council on Alcoholism and Drug Addiction.
- NASTAD. Includes educational resources on HIV, as well as intersecting health issues. Offers online webinars on different public health subjects. https://nastad.org/
- CDC: Stop Overdoses Education.
- NJ Health.
- Harm Reduction Centers in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Suicide Prevention Hotline. 1855.654.6735
- Vet2Vet. 1866.838.7654
- Drug Policy Alliance.
- Filter. harm reduction journalism
Treatment and Providers in Mercer County
- NJ Addiction Services Treatment Directory.
- Mercer County Division of Addiction Services.
- The Rescue Mission Recovery Support Services Mobile Unit.
- Capital Health Mental Health Services. Available 24 hours a day; 7 days a week: 609.396.4357