Library staff members are ready to take your calls and schedule your time to pick-up items that you have requested. Library staff are also standing by to place holds on books, DVDs and other library materials for you. Requesting items from outside the library system through Interlibrary Loan is temporarily unavailable. Reservations are required to pick-up your items. Returns are not accepted at curbside pick-up. Please return your items in the book and AV drops.
- Tuesday: 10 am to 4:30 pm
- Thursday: 10 am to 4:30 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 12:30 pm
Picking up your library items is a SNAP!
- Schedule a pick-up time by calling the library or online. You must schedule a pick-up time for items for hold within five business days of receiving notification that your items are ready.
- Need to bring a face mask and a piece of paper with your last name in big letters if you are using our curbside pick-up. If you have arranged contactless tabletop pick-up, a bag with your last name will be placed on the table for you to retrieve.
- Arrive no earlier than the start of your time slot.
- Pop your trunk or open a passenger window. Staff will place items in your car.
- You can receive your library materials in one of two ways, depending on the weather!
- Contactless Tabletop Pick-Up: If the weather is nice, you can request your library materials by contactless tabletop pick-up. The items will be in bags with your last name on the bag, as well as the last four numbers of your barcode. You may retrieve the bag from the table on your designated day and time.
- Curbside Pick-Up: This is explained above.
- Library staff will be wearing masks and ask that you wear a mask and stay in your car, except to open your trunk, if that is where you would like staff to place the items. If you have pre-arranged for outdoor tabletop pick-up (this will not be available at all branches and only during nice weather) then you would need to park and get out of the car to retrieve your items from the table.
- Items on hold for you have been quarantined for 72 hours.
- Please schedule a pickup appointment or contact the library to cancel unwanted items as soon as possible after being notified.
- During your scheduling phone call library staff will confirm your library barcode with you. Please have your library card ready when you call. If you do not have your barcode or do not know your library barcode, we will ask you to confirm your name, address, email or other identifying information from your library account.
- We will check the library materials out to your library account prior to the date and time of your arranged pick-up.
- Returning Items? Book and AV drops will be open for returned items. Returned items will not be accepted during the curbside service at this time.
Curbside Service FAQs
- When can I pick up my holds?
You may call your library location and schedule a day and time to pick up the items after you see or are notified that your holds are available for pick-up. You will have five business days to pick up your holds from the time you receive the email or phone call.
- Can I return items at the curbside service?
At this time, we are not accepting direct returns to library staff members during curbside pick-up. However, you may return items in the book or AV drops. As a courtesy to our patrons, the library will not be assessing late fines at this time.
- Oops! I am at the library and not at the time I said I would be! Can I still pick-up my holds?
Yes, you can call the library’s phone number between the hours specified above, and if possible, staff will bring out your reserved library materials.
- Can I pay my fines or fees at the curbside service?
No, not at this time.
- I forgot the items I wanted to return and they are due – will I be charged?
At this time the library is not assessing late fees on library materials. We ask that you be courteous to other library patrons and return your materials in a timely and conscientious manner.
- Do I need my library card?
Yes, you will need your library barcode number to schedule a date and time to pick up materials on hold. If you do not have your library card, contact your library location and they will be able to assist you with this process. Go to our Contact Us Page for all our contact information.
- What if I don’t have a library card?
If you do not have a library account with MCLS, but believe you are eligible for one, please submit an online request for an card. This will great you temporary access to all of our services, which will expire after three months. You will need to visit your home branch within that time to verify your library account information and show proof of eligibility. You will be given a physical library card and key tag barcode at that time. To register online, go to our Online Library Card Application.
- May I speak to a library staff member?
We are happy to speak with you! Please call your library location with your questions and, if needed, to obtain assistance in placing materials on hold. Go to our Contact Us Page for all our Branch phone numbers. Go to the Ask A Librarian Form to email our Reference Librarians. Go to the Interlibrary Loan Request Form or the Suggest for Purchase Form to submit a request for items we do not have. Go to the Technical Support Form for website, catalog, or general questions. Lastly, we have introduced a new chat feature on our website! Go to Contact Us Page for more information!
- Can you print something for me?
Yes we can! Go to our Remote Printing Services Page for more information.
- How are you cleaning returned materials?
We are following the most recent information available from the CDC regarding the recommendations for safe handling of library materials. When library materials are returned they are quarantined for a period of 72 hour before they are either re-shelved or placed into transit.
How to Book an Appointment on Picktime
- Navigate to https://www.picktime.com/mclsnj/ or click the “Book Appointment” button found on all branch pages.
- Select your pick-up branch under “Choose a Location”.
- Select “Curbside Contactless Pick-up” under “Choose a Class: CLICK ON THE TITLE FOR AVAILABLE SLOTS”.
- Select the date and time that you would like to make an appointment for under “Choose a Session you want to attend”.
- Enter your information.
- Select “Book Appointment” to confirm the scheduled appointment.
- The appointment has been scheduled.
- Select “Book another Appointment” to go back to step 1 or “Return to mcl.org” to return to https://www.mcl.org/.