PT Librarian 1, Lawrence Branch
Anticipated Vacancy: Part Time Librarian I Reference at Lawrence HQ Branch, Mercer County Library System
This 19 hours per week position requires weekend and evenings. Please note, the Lawrence HQ Branch is open Sundays throughout the school years, and four of the County-observed holidays and applicants must be available to work on Sundays if necessary and some of those holidays.
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, flexible and forward thinking. Excellent customer service skills and a willingness to be part of the team environment to work with a diverse public to provide outstanding reference and programming for patrons of all ages is a must. If you are patient, respectful, resourceful, a self-starter, technically adept and adaptable, then this position is for you. A second language and teaching experience are a plus.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- This position works closely with the branch’s Adult Programs department on advertising (both in-branch and directly with the press);
- Searching the library catalog and locating library materials;
- Accessing databases and other reference materials and showing patrons how to do so;
- Answering reference questions presented in person, electronically, and by telephone;
- Using computer, scanner, copier, projector, and microfilm equipment;
- Providing reference and readers’ advisory services and selecting library materials;
- Assisting patrons in the operation of computers and computer software and providing appropriate instruction when needed;
- Participating in outreach activities, to include in person outreach and contributing blog articles.
Knowledge of current library technologies and the ability to use technology, including the library’s automated system, online reference resources, and Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel is a must.
This position requires an MLS degree from an accredited institution and a New Jersey Professional Librarian Certificate. Full job descriptions can be found on the State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission website. This title is covered under the AFSCME local 3566. The present salary range is $20.33 to $37.51 per hour; however, we anticipate this to range to increase per the contract adoption. Once certified into a permanent title, part time employees do earn sick and vacation time and are eligible to receive holiday pay.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The County of Mercer adheres to a very strict residency requirement; Mercer County residency is required. Candidates would be subject to all Civil Service regulations.
Resumes should be submitted care of Ellen Brown, Library Director, Mercer County Library System, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 or email email@example.com