Caring for a loved one is one of the most rewarding, yet often challenging responsibilities individuals can face. Very frequently family members are completely unprepared for the financial, legal, medical, and moral obligations associated with care giving, and feel overwhelmed by the urgent nature of the learning curve.
In partnership with the Mercer County Department of Human Services, Aging & Disability Resource Connection, we recognize that caregiving is a privilege, but also can be a tremendous challenge. That’s why we’ve developed The Caregiver Backpack, available for check out to library patrons at any of the Mercer County Library System’s nine branches. We hope that the materials included in the backpack are informative and helpful to you in your journey as a caregiver. Along with numerous flyers and pamphlets, which you are encouraged to keep, the Backpack contains a list of helpful websites, print titles, and DVDs.
Caregiver Backpacks are available for check-out for a 3 week period, and can be renewed four additional times, if they are not on hold for another patron. There is a $1.00 per day overdue fine associated with the backpacks, and they must be returned inside the library and not through the book or DVD drops ($1.00 fee if returned in the book or DVD drop).
In addition, the staff of the Mercer County Aging & Disability Resource Connection are available to offer assistance to you and your family as you navigate caregiving. They can be reached at 609-989-6661 or ADRC@mercercounty.org.
If you find the resource in the backpack valuable, or if you have title suggestions for inclusion, we’d love to hear from you!
What Is Included
- A Caregiver’s Workbook: A Guidebook to Becoming a Caregiver for Your Loved One, by Kathy Macaraeg
- Age In Place: A Guide to Modifying, Organizing, and Dec/uttering Mom and Dad’s Home, by Lynda Shrager
- Caregiver’s survival guide : caring for yourself while caring for a loved one, by Robert Yonover, PhD and Ellie Crowe
- Elder care : the road to growing old is not paved, by Buckley Fricker
- Peace of mind for your aging parents : a financial, legal, and psychological toolkit for adult children, advisors, and caregivers, Kenneth O. Doyle
- The 36-hour day : a family guide to caring for people who have Alzheimer disease, other dementias, and memory loss, by Nancy L. Mace
Pamphlets, Brochures, and More
- “ADRC” Information Sheet
- “Alternatives for Seniors, NJ Guide”
- “Bathing and Personal Care”
- “Caring for an older adult”
- “Caring for the Caregiver”
- “Caregivers and Respite Care”
- “Caregiving: How to get the whole family involved”
- Deterra Drug Deactivation System pouch
- “Fire Safety for Older Adults”
- “Long Distance Caregiving”
- MCDPH “File of Life”
- “Men and Caregiving”
- “New Lifestyles: Guide to Senior Living & Care”
- “NJ Dept. of Human Services, Division of Disability Services Resources 2018”
- “Rewards of Caregiving”
For more resources on caregiving, please go to our Health and Wellness page.