Building Maintenance Worker, PT
Please be advised the Mercer County Library System is seeking a part time, 25 hour per week Building Maintenance Worker. The primary hours for this position will be 8:30 am to 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to deliver library materials and supplies to the nine branches of the library system, Mercer County Community College and occasionally the McDade County Building. Under direction of a supervisory official, the position also supports the custodial needs and outside maintenance of eight branches within the Library System.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Lift up to 50 pounds daily, wheel heavy objects, and move quickly in and out of a vehicle.
- Drive and service a motorized vehicle for the purpose of transporting supplies, materials and/or passengers; does other related work as required.
- May perform minor periodic vehicle maintenance services such as washing, polishing, changing tires and checking and replenishing gas, oil, water and batteries.
- Arrange the delivery, storage and pickup of supplies to and from assigned destinations, and load and unload supplies and other materials.
- Clean rooms, offices, lunch areas, public areas, and restrooms.
- Dust, clean, and polish furniture, fixtures, woodwork, shelving, and equipment.
- Wash and clean windows, sweeps, washes, strips, waxes, and polishes floors, and sweeps and vacuums rugs.
- Empty outside ashtrays and wastebaskets inside and outdoors.
- Mop or scrape sticky materials from floors.
- May paint in various areas of the branches.
- May trim hedges, rake and leaves and refuse, trim driveway and sidewalk edges using spades and hoes.
- Shovels snow and spreads sand or salt on icy surfaces to prevent slipping.
- Run power cleaning equipment, clean and oil the equipment, and change brushes and accessories.
- Assist carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and other in-house or outside vendors by carrying tools and materials, by placing and removing ladders, by cleaning up after work has been done, and by doing other varied tasks of a simple nature.
- When necessary, move and control equipment, carry and set up ladders and scaffolding, and work from ladders and scaffolds to change light bulbs, replace venetian blinds, wash walls, etc.
- Assist branch personnel in the removal and storage of books and other items.
- Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey.
- Appointee may be required to undergo fire training classes in the Department of Human Services.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of procedures, materials, and tools used in washing, waxing, vacuuming, and polishing wood, tile, cement, linoleum, glass, and other woodwork, furniture, and fixtures.
- Knowledge of use of and minor adjustment to sweepers, vacuum cleaners, floor waxers, polishers, and other equipment.
- Ability to handle cleaning problems, lift and move moderately heavy objects, organize cleaning work, and develop work methods.
- Ability to maintain a building, office, unit, or area in a clean, hygienic, and orderly condition.
- Ability to follow safety precautions and to report potentially hazardous conditions.
- Ability to work effectively with other employees.
- Knowledge of safe driving principles.
- Ability to practice safe driving rules and regulations.
- Ability to check, clean, and perform minor periodic maintenance services to vehicles.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions, and to learn quickly from directions and demonstrations.
- Ability to maintain records, inventory and files. Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
The current starting salary for this position $18.5979 per hour. This title does accrue sick and vacation leave time and is eligible for holidays. No health benefits are provided. This title is affiliated with AFSCME Local 2287.
Applications will be accepted until a candidate if found; only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Résumés may be submitted care of:
Ellen Brown, Library Director
Mercer County Library System
Lawrence HQ Branch
2751 Brunswick Pike
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
fax: (609) 538-1206
Note: Mercer County residency is required within one year of appointment. All applicants are subject to pre-employment tests: drug, physical and criminal background check.
Résumés will be accepted until the vacancy is filled.