7/1/2022: With abortion expected to become illegal or heavily restricted in about half of all states now that the U.S. Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, Governor Phil Murphy signed two bills to protect individuals who receive and provide reproductive health care services in New Jersey:
The first bill (A-3975/S-2633) would generally prevent the disclosure of a patient’s medical records related to reproductive health care without their consent in any civil, probate, legislative or administrative proceeding. It would also prohibit public entities and employees from cooperating with interstate investigations aiming to hold someone liable for seeking, receiving, facilitating, or providing reproductive health care services that are legal in New Jersey.
It would further protect providers by prohibiting New Jersey licensing boards from suspending, revoking, or refusing to renew the license or registration of a professional based solely on their involvement in the provision of reproductive health care services.
The second bill (A-3974/S-2642) would prevent the extradition of an individual within New Jersey to another state for receiving, providing, or facilitating reproductive health care services that are legal in New Jersey.Governor Murphy Signs Legislation to Protect Reproductive Health Care Providers and Out-of-State Residents Seeking Reproductive Services in New Jersey, https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562022/approved/20220701a.shtml
- Know Your Rights: Reproductive Health Care — You will find information on your right to access care and have it covered by your insurance or other health care coverage if you have it, where to go if you don’t have coverage, and how to get information if you don’t know.
- Abortion Provider Finder — With more than 700 health centers, AbortionFinder.org features the most comprehensive directory of trusted (and verified) abortion service providers in the United States.
Points of View Reference Center
A full text database designed to provide students and schools with a series of controversial essays that present multiple sides of a current issue. Essays provide questions and materials for further thought and study and are accompanied by thousands of supporting articles.
- Abortion (Abortion: Overview. By: Rich, Alex K., Wagner, Geraldine, Points of View: Abortion, 8/1/2021)
- Abortion & Minors (Abortion and Minors: Overview. By: Ballaro, Beverly, Wagner, Geraldine, Points of View: Abortion & Minors, 10/1/2021)
- Late-Term Abortion (Late-Term Abortion: An Overview. By: Ballaro, Beverly, Wagner, Geraldine, Points of View: Late-Term Abortion, 2017)